Corporate and M&A
The firm's corporate and M&A professionals deal with all Italian and international legal matters involved in running businesses in the energy industry, providing legal assistance in the following typical areas:
- Incorporation of companies, including related administrative and regulatory matters;
- Management of ordinary matters involved in running the business, with a special focus on corporate governance, organization and structure (shareholders' meetings and meetings of management and supervisory bodies), and dealing with related litigation, if any;
- Management of commercial matters arising, such as the sale and purchase of business, drafting and negotiating commercial agreements such as distribution, competition, franchising, leasing, agency and outsourcing agreements;
- Drafting and negotiating lease agreements and/or land lease agreements to obtain suitable new property, in particular with a view to develop renewable energy plants and start operations;
- Sale and purchase of shares and businesses, joint ventures, strategic alliances, demergers, and company restructuring, including the related specific due diligence activity;
- Management of corporate financial matters of the corporate business such as capital increases and reductions, changes in relations between shareholders, shareholders' agreements, the issues of bonds, IPO's and other public offerings.
Banking & Finance
Carnelutti's banking and finance professionals have extensive experience in all banking and finance areas due to their involvement in numerous significant project financing and leveraged finance deals, providing legal assistance mainly on the following key aspects:
- The preparatory stage to obtain financing facilities from financial institutions as well as the subsequent negotiation and drafting of finance agreements related to project financing transactions;
- Negotiating and drafting asset-backed and personal guarantees requested by financial institutions in connection with the requested financing facilities;
- Drafting suitable corporate resolutions for companies requesting financing facilities with specific reference to the obligations and liabilities that companies will undertake in connection with project financing transactions;
- Drafting deeds and/or documents requested by financing banks as conditions precedent for drawdown of the financing facilities;
- Post-drawdown audit when the borrower is required to provide evidence that the finance obligations have been met;
- Any other necessary action or formality deriving from or connected to the completion of the project financing transaction.
Carnelutti can field an experienced team of tried and trusted administrative law professionals, who are able to provide clients with high-calibre advice and assistance, including representation in the litigation (if it arises), concerning all matters related to the production, distribution and transport of energy and gas. Core areas covered by Carnelutti's lawyers include:
- The commission of new power plants and changes/enhancements/expansion of existing plants, with particular regard to environmental impact assessment procedures, and to obtaining necessary licenses, permits and authorizations;
- Construction (EPC agreements), connection to the grid (agreements with the GSE - Gestori Servizi Elettrici) compliance and management (maintenance agreements) of plants supplied with renewable energy (wind, solar, hydropower, geothermal, biomass, etc.);
- Assistance in project development and project financing transactions aimed at the construction and operation of traditional or renewable energy production plants;
- Acquisition of research licenses, licenses for hydrocarbon cultivation and for natural gas storage;
- Transport and distribution of gas and electric power with respect to regulatory and tariff matters;
- Drafting supply agreements for electric power and gas;
- Proceedings before the National Authority for Energy and Gas, Regional Administrative Courts and the council of state.
Carnelutti's tax professionals are able to provide a wide range of services on domestic and international tax, and on regulatory matters including those related to corporate law.
The firm advises regularly on issues of direct taxation (on corporations and individuals), indirect and registration taxation, and provides assistance in international taxation with particular focus on the tax affairs of major international corporations as well as tax planning for individuals and corporations. The tax team also has the specialist expertise to handle tax dispute resolution before the relevant authorities or, at litigation stage, to handle proceedings before tax commissions of all types.
In particular, the department provides assistance:
- At the planning stage of the financing and corporate structures, including assistance on restructuring and reorganizing groups of companies in order to achieve their desired business objectives;
- In the acquisition/sale of shares, businesses and lines of business;
- In mergers, demergers, contributions, changes and winding up procedures;
- In the evaluation of available tax advantages and in the analysis of the specific situation of the client in order to improve the tax regime of the corporations or of the group of companies.